Sunny mornings, long afternoons, lots of lovely water and fresh fruit… what’s not to love about summer? And that’s how your skin feels, too. Our skin is easier to look after in warm weather, as we produce more oil. But as we move into autumn, colder temperatures can make your skin feel dry and look dull. And did you know that you’re more likely to get a breakout in autumn than any other season? That’s because dead skin cells build up, so natural oils gets trapped and pores become clogged. But you can stay one step ahead. Yes, simply by swapping out a few key ingredients in your skincare routine.
1. Cleanser As the weather cools down, your skin prefers a creamy balm or oil cleanser. The last thing you want to do is strip it of its remaining oils, because if you do, it will just fight back by producing excess oil to prevent dehydration. A general rule of thumb is to avoid cleansers that lather up (woah, sulfates). You’ll find a great range of gentle cleansers here at Adore Beauty.
2. Moisturiser As the clock ticks into March, try switching your lighter moisturiser to a more hydrating, rich formula that will soothe and nourish your face, neck and hands, making them appear instantly more supple. Look for Hyaluronic acid on the label: it’s a substance that occurs naturally in your skin and is super important for keeping it hydrated and plumped.
3. Mask If you’re not already on the sheet mask bandwagon, now is the time to hop aboard. Apply at least once a week during the cooler months as a saviour for dry, irritated skin. Juuni’s serum-drenched Glow Like a Pro sheet mask features hyaluronic (there’s that word again!) acid for a healthy, bouncy, dewy complexion; natural extracts of aloe leaf and cucumber to soothe and calm redness; and pomegranate and green tea to help brighten autumn skin.
4. Sunscreen Sunscreen is a daily essential in all seasons! Although it may not be as bright and hot, the rays are still there, even on a cloudy day, and they are just as damaging as they are in summer. Protect your skin with a paraben-free SPF 50+ sunscreen. There are loads that are specially formulated to wear under makeup. Take a look at what dermatologists recommend here.
5. Patches If prevention fails and you have a breakout, don’t despair. Pop on a hydrocolloid dot, with soothing tea tree oil. These little fluid-absorbing patches suck the gunk out of your pores overnight, to let the healing begin in record time. Autumn skin? You’re ready to face it.